Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Call

I received an unexpected phone call from one of the production assistants of the Doctor Phil show. I was told that Robin received my note and was interested in helping me find relief from my perimenopausal symptoms. I was skeptical at first, especially when I was asked if I would be interested in appearing on the Doctor Phil show as a guest. I took a leap of faith and said "yes".

After a few phone calls back and forth, I was approved to be a guest and the crew set up my first visit to Robin's doctor, Prudence Hall. She and doctor Howard Liebowitz are co directors of the "Hall Center for Vitality and Healthy Aging", in Santa Monica, CA. I was asked to have lab work completed so the doctor could use the results to assist in diagnosis. That first visit occurred on March 5, 2009. I met the film crew on site and they recorded some of my visit with doctor Hall. I completed a lengthy questionnaire about my health history, familial health history and symptoms I experienced. When I met doctor Hall she put me at ease. She found me to be deficient in estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, free T3 and free T4 thyroid, DHEA, and vitamin D3. The good news was that she said she could help me.

I was introduced to doctor Daryl Turner, the co inventor of a machine called the "Thyroflex". He measured the speed of my reflexes through the arm and found them to be slower than optimal. I was told the cold hands, feet and nose I had was due to my low thyroid. He also said the belly fat below the navel and general weight gain that I had trouble managing was also indicative of low thyroid.

Before any therapy was prescribed by Dr. Hall, I was led into a room to have a pelvic sonogram. The technician found no evidence of fibroid tumors or suspicious growths. My personal and private history had no evidence of breast cancer. All these things needed to be known to steer the doctor in the right direction.

I sat down with a staff member at the Hall Center who showed me how to apply the bio identical hormones prescribed. She gave me the dosages, frequency of application and monthly cycle rotations. I was also prescribed a 1/2 grain of NatureThroid NT-1, 1000IU of Xanthomega Red Krill Oil, 10mg of DHEA and 5000IU of Vitamin D Supreme. I was to begin this new regimen the next day and keep a record of how I was feeling. I couldn't wait to get started but did not expect anything to improve for months.

No comments:

Post a Comment