Wednesday, July 29, 2009

New Lab Results

Well, I had a visit with my primary care internist and we reviewed the latest lipid profile collected on 6/30/2009. My overall cholesterol has dropped to 158!!! My LDL dropped to 95!!! Great News!!! These numbers haven't been this good since before I started perimenopause over twelve years ago! The internist thought the improvement was due solely to my current exercise and diet routine. Wrong! I ate the same and exercised even more before Dr. Hall began my hormonal therapy. Henceforth, I can only believe the Docs at The Hall Center when they tell me that bio identical estrogen helps to naturally lower cholesterol. The internist suggested I take vitamin D and calcium. I explained that Dr. Hall has me taking 5000IU of vitamin D. I asked the internist how much calcium I should take. The internist said 1600mg per day. I asked how much magnesium I should take along with the calcium. The internist replied "I don't know".

As I am 50 and have had no bone density test, total body skin check nor stress test, I asked the internist for referrals. I got the bone density referral. My appointment is set for the first week in August. My HMO insurance (Healthnet), wants a biopsy from the internist before it will approve a referral to a dermatologist for a skin check. And the internist said I did not need a stress test baseline as I have no health issues that would warrant another invasive procedure. OK, I am absolutely not a hypochondriac, but one would think that it makes sense to have baselines established so you have a point of reference. I would rather work on prevention to keep myself healthy than wait until I have a chronic illness to battle. Seems opinions vary from doctor to doctor regarding this philosophy. Waiting for twelve years before I received help for my hormonal imbalance was not wise on my behalf. I could have lessened or avoided much of the pain and suffering had I taken care of business early on. I think it is time to either go back to the primary care physician I had before this one, or ask Dr. Hall's office for a referral for a good primary care physician.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! It's so nice to see that your feeling ans test results are better then years ago just because bioidentical hormone therapy. Yes doctors who specialize in this therpy go through so much more training then the conventional doctors. My bioidentical doctor in Florida is great. Not only can bioidentical lower cholesterol, there are a great deal of supplements like fish oily that can help too. Here is this website I found about bioidentical estrogen, take a look: http://www.bodylogicmd.com/for-women/bioidentical-hormones-estrogen

    ReplyDelete